App Location Settings F-Series

General forum talking area for F series TVs.

ijhammo

Re: App Location Settings F-Series

Post by ijhammo »

Gulp - that tool looks complicated - not least of which the site is in German :-)

Also, not entirely sure what factory, 3speed and info keys are
rabbit

Post by rabbit »

I also bought one of the new F series models and was a bit disappointed that the old tricks don't work anymore. As a workaround, I did a factory reset from the service menu and set up the system using a VPN tunnel to the country of my choice and the ethernet connection. Apparently, the system figures out the country once during the setup by performing a HTTP request on one of Samsung's domains. Once the Smart Hub is set up, the VPN connection can be removed and the app location settings remain. Of course it would still be nice to find an easier way..

It doesn't matter what language and country are chosen during the setup; this seems to be just important for the user interface and tuner. In case you want to change the selection of countries, you can change the country of origin from the service menu as well.
ijhammo

Post by ijhammo »

rabbit wrote:I also bought one of the new F series models and was a bit disappointed that the old tricks don't work anymore. As a workaround, I did a factory reset from the service menu and set up the system using a VPN tunnel to the country of my choice and the ethernet connection. Apparently, the system figures out the country once during the setup by performing a HTTP request on one of Samsung's domains. Once the Smart Hub is set up, the VPN connection can be removed and the app location settings remain. Of course it would still be nice to find an easier way..
Thanks for that info. I picked up my UE46F7000 today and have yet to set it up. Although I bought it in the UK I will be taking it back to the Netherlands, so in theory I could set it up before I go back without needing a VPN (although I do have one). mind you - i would not expect iPlayer, 4OD or ITV Player to work without a UK ip address.
rabbit wrote:It doesn't matter what language and country are chosen during the setup; this seems to be just important for the user interface and tuner. In case you want to change the selection of countries, you can change the country of origin from the service menu as well.
What would changing the country of origin give you? On my old UK spec C Series I could find analogue cable channels in the Netherlands on my UE40C8000 but not digital - but I thought that was due to the physical tuners which are different in each region?
rabbit

Post by rabbit »

Actually I cannot imagine that they use physically different cable tuners for different countries. After all, it's still DVB-C. Maybe they restrict the network scan just to a number of known frequencies for the country? You could compare the frequency bands for cable television in UK and the Netherlands.

Regarding foreign IP addresses, there are services like tunlr.net and unblock-us.com, which provide a proxy server for services like iPlayer or Netflix and work transparently from just the DNS setting.
ijhammo

Post by ijhammo »

I will have a play and see what I can find re the Tuner - but its not really a problem as I dont need Dutch TV

I am using UnoDNS for iplayer etc and it works great. But will use a VPN for the setup itself.
Highlander

Post by Highlander »

jtboldon

Post by jtboldon »

Hi, has anyone had the chance to try highlander's key sequence out yet? I am away for a couple of weeks so cannot try it myself.
Does this mean that there are now two alternatives for changing the App location setting on the F series. The other being to make the TV think it is in the target country (setting up a VPN tunnel) and re-run setup. Have others tried that method too?
ijhammo

Post by ijhammo »

I can confirm that this DOES work.

Also, if you dont want to reset your whole TV you can just go in to menu and just reset the Smart Hub - then at the same point (SmartHub T&Cs) follow the intructions in the post: Mute - Return - Vol+ - Ch+ - Mute

Thank you sooooooo much Highlander :D
M11
SamyGO Project Donor

Post by M11 »

I'm going to receive my Evolution Kit tomorrow (for my E8000) and i just discovered that On TV is not available in my country, so i have a question. Does changing the SmartHub country enable On TV feature for selected country?
Using VPN should enable On TV as far as i understand, but does changing the country in settings do the same?

I watch a lot of German channels (from satellite), so if i could see German channels in On TV then it would be great.
F9000 + SEK-3500U
ijhammo

Post by ijhammo »

when setting up OnTV you select the STB or Tuner input that you want to use on it.

However, each region model has specific Tuner/STB choices - for instance in NL its UPC, in UK its Sky & Virgin. For OnTV to work for the German channels you would need to your TV to be set up as if it were a German model so that the German STB/Tuner options are availabe.

I need to figure this out too as I want to turn a Dutch model in to a UK model when i move back to the UK. If anyone here knows how to do that? :D

Return to “[F] General”