App Location Settings F-Series

General forum talking area for F series TVs.

jtboldon

Re: App Location Settings F-Series

Post by jtboldon »

Hi Highlander,
Thanks for providing the key sequence. This worked great. A comment for anyone else doing this. You need to be quickish in entering the key sequence otherwise it will not be recognised. In my first attempt I paused between key presses and it did not work.
Regarding OnTV, once I had changed my country to UK, I was asked about my UK service provider and asked to enter my UK post code. I declined this by saying my service provider was not listed (I want to continue getting local German channels). I got the response that OnTV would therefore not work for me. The implication is that had I provided a Postcode then OnTV would have been set up (provided I could actually receive the UK channels).
Hope this helps for the questions on OnTV.
M11
SamyGO Project Donor

Post by M11 »

ijhammo wrote:when setting up OnTV you select the STB or Tuner input that you want to use on it.

However, each region model has specific Tuner/STB choices - for instance in NL its UPC, in UK its Sky & Virgin. For OnTV to work for the German channels you would need to your TV to be set up as if it were a German model so that the German STB/Tuner options are availabe.

I need to figure this out too as I want to turn a Dutch model in to a UK model when i move back to the UK. If anyone here knows how to do that? :D
Thanks for the reply. So you bought your TV in UK and now you are using it in Netherlands? Do you have Dutch channels in On TV panel? If yes, then this confirms that VPN should work for me.
It's not a problem for me to set it up as German TV, because Germany and Estonia are using same DVB-C/T encoding (as far as i know). And i don't use DVB-C/T much anyway, our IPTV service provider has a app for Samsung TV's (it's advertized as first in the world), so i don't need any box or DVB-C/T for local channels. Of course the app is not released for 2013 TV's yet, so i have to try if i can get it sideloaded...
jtboldon wrote:Regarding OnTV, once I had changed my country to UK, I was asked about my UK service provider and asked to enter my UK post code. I declined this by saying my service provider was not listed (I want to continue getting local German channels). I got the response that OnTV would therefore not work for me. The implication is that had I provided a Postcode then OnTV would have been set up (provided I could actually receive the UK channels).
So this should mean that i don't even need VPN? I just need to set the country to DE and enter some German service provider and German post code. I can't believe it will be so easy... I guess i will know for sure tomorrow, if i receive my Evolution kit that is...
F9000 + SEK-3500U
ijhammo

Post by ijhammo »

M11 wrote:
ijhammo wrote:when setting up OnTV you select the STB or Tuner input that you want to use on it.

However, each region model has specific Tuner/STB choices - for instance in NL its UPC, in UK its Sky & Virgin. For OnTV to work for the German channels you would need to your TV to be set up as if it were a German model so that the German STB/Tuner options are availabe.

I need to figure this out too as I want to turn a Dutch model in to a UK model when i move back to the UK. If anyone here knows how to do that? :D
Thanks for the reply. So you bought your TV in UK and now you are using it in Netherlands? Do you have Dutch channels in On TV panel? If yes, then this confirms that VPN should work for me.
It's not a problem for me to set it up as German TV, because Germany and Estonia are using same DVB-C/T encoding (as far as i know). And i don't use DVB-C/T much anyway, our IPTV service provider has a app for Samsung TV's (it's advertized as first in the world), so i don't need any box or DVB-C/T for local channels. Of course the app is not released for 2013 TV's yet, so i have to try if i can get it sideloaded...
jtboldon wrote:Regarding OnTV, once I had changed my country to UK, I was asked about my UK service provider and asked to enter my UK post code. I declined this by saying my service provider was not listed (I want to continue getting local German channels). I got the response that OnTV would therefore not work for me. The implication is that had I provided a Postcode then OnTV would have been set up (provided I could actually receive the UK channels).
So this should mean that i don't even need VPN? I just need to set the country to DE and enter some German service provider and German post code. I can't believe it will be so easy... I guess i will know for sure tomorrow, if i receive my Evolution kit that is...
I will do my best to explain :D

There are two aspects to OnTV - your regional settings for the video source (be it a Set Top Box or the internal Tuners) and the regional setting for the Smart Hub. Neither of these can be set in the standard menus and both are required for onTV to work (in theory jsut the SmartHub setting would give you the German channel recommendations but you would not be able to auto tune to them - ie pointless)

For the Video source regional settings you need to get in to the extended service menu. This means you need a way to send the FACTORY and 3SPEED commands. If you have a universal remote (like Harmony) there are some guides online on how to do this. Once in the service menu you can set the regional variation for the TV which will determine what services get offered in OnTV. Ie, you will need to set it to German to get a german service selection.

For the OnTV setting its a little easier. During the OnTV setup where you have to accepts the T&Cs follw the instructions posted a few posts ago and select whichever country you want. However, you use streaming content from that country you will most likely need a VPN or at least a DNS service like unotelly.

Once both of these are set you can follow the normal install instructions and it should all work.
jtboldon

Post by jtboldon »

Hi,
Oh dear, I seemed to have caused some confusion with my mention of Postcodes.

Let me try to explain. If I take my F-series TV bought at the local Mediamarkt in Germany, and apply the mute/return/ch+/vol+/mute key sequence during setup, I can change the app settings from Germany to UK. Once again thanks to Highlander for this information!!! This makes the TV think that it was bought in the UK, and during the initial setup will not only provide apps like BBC iplayer and ITV player (desired effect) but will also ask my postcode in order to set up the broadcast (satellite, cable, and aerial) services like OnTV correctly (not necessarily what I want). In other words the TV behaves exactly like one, had I had bought in the UK, brought over the Germany, switched on and run through set-up. This seems to be where the confusion lies. It does not magically make BBC1 appear on my German aerial, nor does it overcome the BBC's blockage of iplayer outside of the UK.
If that is what you want to do then, you would need to have a satellite dish pointed at 28.2E to receive Freesat, and a VPN internet connection to a UK service provider. Then the TV would not only behave as though it was in the UK, but in searching the broadcast channels and Internet services, it would really be in the UK.
Hope this clarifies the situation.
As an aside, if you have your app settings, and therefore the entire TV, set up for a different country from where you actually are, yet you want to receive local channels. i.e., TV is set for UK but you want to get German TV channels, then you cannot use the OnTV feature. e.g., OnTV will show you that Strictly come Dancing is coming up next, but when you click on it then there pops up Tatort, which is not what you wanted. For OnTV to work, you must be able to receive broadcast channels from the same country as the country app settings. The only situation where this will work outside of the country is if you can receive the channels via satellite.
M11
SamyGO Project Donor

Post by M11 »

Yeah, i understand. I'm in Estonia and i watch German channels with satellite (Astra 19,2E). I set it up and it basically works. Only problem is that we have 1 hour time difference with Germany and setting TV time does not effect the OnTV panel time. For OnTV to show correct information i need to set my TV to German time. And for some reason it doesn't suggest RTL, Pro7 and Sat1 channels in OnTV panel (these are the channels i watch the most). Otherwise it works as expected.
F9000 + SEK-3500U
ijhammo

Post by ijhammo »

jtboldon wrote:Hi,
Oh dear, I seemed to have caused some confusion with my mention of Postcodes.

Let me try to explain. If I take my F-series TV bought at the local Mediamarkt in Germany, and apply the mute/return/ch+/vol+/mute key sequence during setup, I can change the app settings from Germany to UK. Once again thanks to Highlander for this information!!! This makes the TV think that it was bought in the UK, and during the initial setup will not only provide apps like BBC iplayer and ITV player (desired effect) but will also ask my postcode in order to set up the broadcast (satellite, cable, and aerial) services like OnTV correctly (not necessarily what I want). In other words the TV behaves exactly like one, had I had bought in the UK, brought over the Germany, switched on and run through set-up. This seems to be where the confusion lies. It does not magically make BBC1 appear on my German aerial, nor does it overcome the BBC's blockage of iplayer outside of the UK.
If that is what you want to do then, you would need to have a satellite dish pointed at 28.2E to receive Freesat, and a VPN internet connection to a UK service provider. Then the TV would not only behave as though it was in the UK, but in searching the broadcast channels and Internet services, it would really be in the UK.
Hope this clarifies the situation.
As an aside, if you have your app settings, and therefore the entire TV, set up for a different country from where you actually are, yet you want to receive local channels. i.e., TV is set for UK but you want to get German TV channels, then you cannot use the OnTV feature. e.g., OnTV will show you that Strictly come Dancing is coming up next, but when you click on it then there pops up Tatort, which is not what you wanted. For OnTV to work, you must be able to receive broadcast channels from the same country as the country app settings. The only situation where this will work outside of the country is if you can receive the channels via satellite.
Actually, that isnt correct. The TV has two very separate regional settings. One for the applications (which can be changed with the mute/return/ch+/vol+/mute key sequence) and the other can only be changed by using the service remote command to get to the extended options in the service menu. Changing just your app settings will NOT make your TV think it was bought in a different region.

The reason I know this is that I now have two F7000s, one I bought in the UK and one I bought in the Netherlands. The one I bought in the Netherlands would only give me the Dutch STB suppliers (UPC, Ziggo etc) in the setup menu, irrespective of the app region I had set (UK). I was only able to get the TV to offer me UK STB suppliers (SKY and Virgin) by going in to the extended service menu and changing the TV region from Benelux to UK. Only then would UK STB suppliers be offered and its the same for the OTA like Freeview and FreeSat etc.
emm3t

Post by emm3t »

Just for clarification (sorry)

If I have set up my tuner and app store to be the UK, if I move to another country can I change the tuner country to (say) Spain without touching the app store settings? The menu asks for a PIN and then says that all settings will be deleted, but I don't know if this is just the tuner settings or the app store settings as well.

Many thanks,

emm3t
bombjack

Post by bombjack »

hi i have a problem with S.Recommendation.
My tv is set to Germany but i live in Austria.
For the Hbbtv i need to set to Germany otherwise hbbtv wont work.
my local adress is pointed to Austria.
I dont know why but in LCN setting "Astra19,2" Regional Programs like Pro7 Austria dissapear when i sort my channels with chansort.
So i have to save my channels in "Satellite", BUT if i use S-Recommendation and switch a channel my Tuner is set back to "Astra 19.2"
any help?

cheers
Gezim

Post by Gezim »

Hi
How to change region (App store country for Smart Hub) in UE55ES8000 with Evolution Kit . Both methods (ffv 289 rev and mute, return, volup chup, mute) don?t work. Any solution? Without Evolution Kit worked the first one.
M11
SamyGO Project Donor

Post by M11 »

Gezim wrote:Hi
How to change region (App store country for Smart Hub) in UE55ES8000 with Evolution Kit . Both methods (ffv 289 rev and mute, return, volup chup, mute) don?t work. Any solution? Without Evolution Kit worked the first one.
The F series method works with Evolution Kit.
http://www.eyeondemand.com/2013/06/21/h ... app-store/

Whats you Smart Hub version number? You can find it in Menu > Support > Contact Samsung. Scroll down and there is "Apps Version". Is it 5.221 or never?
F9000 + SEK-3500U

Return to “[F] General”