Samsung UN40FH6030 and Ralink 5370 Dongle

General forum talking area for F series TVs.

mofo

Samsung UN40FH6030 and Ralink 5370 Dongle

Post by mofo »

For those interested,
I was finally able to make the RaLink 5370 usb dongle accept the Samy PID VID and lock it in. Thanx to all the info on this site and accross the web it took a mix of info and sledge hammer effects to get it to go. I probably did every thing wrong and it took many tries and 2 drivers to get it to go.
It is now plugged in and working on the tv and the tv acknowledged it immediately as a Samsung device.
It really gets me that Samsung would lock these dongles out and then have the nerve to charge a ridiculous price for a $7 dollar dongle.
My 5370 is the one with the 3-4 inch antenna from ebay for #$6.99 and free shipping. It worked great on my laptop as wireless n adapter using Linux and Windows 7 Dual Boot.
It's new id is a Samsung WIS09ABGN PID=04E8 and VID=2018.
It still works by just plugging in on my laptop without changing its previous driver and on the tv as well. I gave up trying to get it to link on the desktop that I used for a test mule to re-write the vid / pid values. Although it was showing that all was good it had a "bad password error" and I didn't need to go any further as long as it locked on the correct values and worked in the laptop and on the Samsung tv.
I tried a lot of things other people did like running Linux on a usb stick and on LIVE cd... but in the end I installed Linux xubuntu 10.04 LTS 32-bit on an old desktop and did not do any updates other than what is specified on the websites regarding this vid pid change. Since the older drivers for the Ralink need to be compiled on an older kernel mine is kernel 2.6.32-21-generic found by typing "uname -r" in the Linux Terminal.
I did first try the procedure on the Laptop with new Linux Mint 17.1 Cinnamon Edition (Luv it) and as many had said it was a waist of time. Massive compile error's and failure. It just refused.
I first tried the driver 2010_0709_RT2870_Linux_STA_v2.4.0.1 from mediatek.com and with the recommended changes it did compile and it would let me change the vid / pid values without any apparent errors as if it worked. But when I would type the lsusb command in the terminal it would come back as a Ralink 148F/5370 again. By the way it was using the rt2870sta modules and all this was making my brain hurt because I would think it would be a 5370sta like the "lsusb" command lists model ID=5370?? And they say even when all goes right during the "make" process there are a lot of warnings but when it "Makes" with out ERRORS you are almost home.
In the end it was the "DPO_RT5572_LinuxSTA_2.6.1.3_20121022.tar.bz2" driver from mediatek that compiled and set the iwpriv ra0 e2p 208=04E8 and iwpriv ra0 e2p 20A=2018 and this time it locked it in which I verified with the "lsusb command" first and then by re-boot and "lsusb" again. I then verified it by plugging it into the laptop and finally the tv itself. This loaded the rt5572sta.ko file and it now lists the 2800 modules in the proc list by issuing the "lsmod | grep rt" command.which lists modules "rt2800usb rt2x00usb rt2x00lib rt2x00lib". By the way these are the same modules names my laptop uses except they are re-compiled with configure files that open up the iwpriv command to forward the new vid / pid values without a "no priv ioctls" error and actually write it to the firmware as well. Some changes were made as instructed but you need to follow their directions carefully. I copied and pasted the commands from the websites for the most part. And you must get through the "make" without Error's...warnings ok...but no Error's.
So we know it will work on the UN40FH6030 with a Ralink 5370.

Return to “[F] General”