TV silently turns on in the background

Here for general support for F series TVs, request and problem solve area.

aimaim
SamyGO Project Donor

TV silently turns on in the background

Post by aimaim »

Hello everybody,

my UE55F6770 (MST) recently had a problem, which caused me to perform a factory reset and reroot. Probem solved (so I thought).

After resetting and rerooting everything worked like it should except, that after turning the tv off via ir-remote, it silently restarts itself sometimes. The picture stays off, but oscam logs into my cs-server and the tv is reachable via telnet and ftp.

I could not figure out if it always reboots, because it seems, that it does not necessarily happen shortly afterwards.

This thread suggests, that it might have something to do with having "OTN set of OFF, and OTA set to "general"". I have both set to off. After factory resetting I did not directly turn both off, since I thought it might affect being able to use smarthub (which I needed to used the samygo widget in order to root).
Could it be possible, that when OTN and or OTA were still enabled, the tv scheduled sort of a wakeup, to do a forced update, which now for some reason is still active?

My sister's F-series mst tv has the same problem by the way. But when I rooted it a couple years ago and noticed this behavior, I gave up on fixing it, because she usually cuts the power to the tv when not in use anyway.

Any hints are appreciated

PS: What exactly is OTN and OTA? I guess OTN is "over the network" and OTA "over the air". Does network mean the network I receive my tv signal over (satellite in my case)? That would leave OTA to be the online update. Or is it the other way around?
aimaim
SamyGO Project Donor

Re: TV silently turns on in the background

Post by aimaim »

When I set OTN back ON and OTA back to GENERAL, the tv does not power on secretly. Now I've set OTA back OFF and kept OTN ON to see what happens then.
(Of course I blocked updates using my router.)

I've tested all four combinations of OTA/OTN settings:

OTN = OFF, OTA = OFF --> silent boots
OTN = ON, OTA = General --> no silent boots
OTN = ON, OTA = OFF --> no silent boots
OTN = OFF, OTA = General --> silent boots

I'd still like to know what exactly the difference between OTA and OTN is though.
sectroyer
Official SamyGO Developer

Post by sectroyer »

with OTN ON it is GUARANTEED that tv will "silently turn on" :) You might think it doesn't do it but it will :) Sooner or later it will boot and update :)
I do NOT support "latest fw" at ALL. If you have one you should block updates on router and wait for it to STOP being "latest":)
If you want me to help you please paste FULL log(s) to "spoiler"/"code" bbcodes or provide link(s) to pasted file(s) on https://pastebin.com Otherwise "NO HELP"!!!
If you want root DISABLE internet access to your device!!!!
DO NOT EVER INSTALL FIRMWARE UPGRADE !!!!
aimaim
SamyGO Project Donor

Post by aimaim »

sectroyer wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:37 am with OTN ON it is GUARANTEED that tv will "silently turn on" :) You might think it doesn't do it but it will :) Sooner or later it will boot and update :)
I blocked the samsung update servers in my router, so this should not happen right? Or does otn refer to the tv-network such as dvb-s?
aimaim
SamyGO Project Donor

Post by aimaim »

The last couple of weeks I used these settings:
OTN = ON, OTA = OFF

I realized that the tv does still turn on silently, yet it turns back off shortly afterwards. It seems, that the tv attempts an update, fails (because the urls are blocked by the router) and then shuts down.

When OTN is OFF the tv silently boots anyway, yet is prohibited from trying to update, which causes it to stay on. That is only my guess as to what happens. I'm grateful for any hint.
marek29
SamyGO Project Donor

Post by marek29 »

Hello.
This is not a software update problem.
This is the problem of automatically updating the channel list.
If you use the default list of your operator, the problem will be in the F and H series.
If you create your channel list, the problem should disappear.
Regards.
aimaim
SamyGO Project Donor

Post by aimaim »

marek29 wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 4:51 pm Hello.
This is not a software update problem.
This is the problem of automatically updating the channel list.
If you use the default list of your operator, the problem will be in the F and H series.
If you create your channel list, the problem should disappear.
Regards.
Thanks for your suggestion. Unfortunately I don't think that this is the case. I did create my channel list myself. Also I used the sam channel before resetting my tv. Then I didn't have this problem.

The current situation is not ideal, but tolerable. I'm thankful for every suggestion to fix this.
aimaim
SamyGO Project Donor

Post by aimaim »

Three years later I might have just found the solution:

In the normal tv menu "software update" was greyed out. After reactivating OTN and OTA Support, unblocking and unlogging from some dummy developer smart hub account, I had setup months ago (to try something out), software update reappeared. In the menu-group there was the possibility to configure the auto update time. It was set to two hours after boot, which fits my experience with the tv silently starting after a while nicely. I turned it off now and put the other safeguards (OTN and OTA off and blocking the tv's internet connection in my router) back.

I have a hunch this strange behavior should be over now.

Return to “[F] Support”