Self-install App on H series

General Forum talking area for H series TVs.

cybermaus

Self-install App on H series

Post by cybermaus »

Hi guys

If we ignore the possibility that it might crash because of incompatibilities, is there any way to trick my 2014 H series (48H5500) TV to download a 2016 U series app. Specifically Canaal Digitaal.

I'd really rather have it play naively then via the Chromecast, because of the single remote in stead of having to bring out the phone.

I am unsure if there are actual reasons why Canaal Digitaal choose to remove the app from the 2014 & 2015 models, or if it was only marketing.
After all, they made 2016 the cutoff for *all* brands, so it may not even be due to technical capabilities.

BTW: While i am quite handy with other stuff like route firmware etc, I never did much hacking on my TV, never rooted it, and from what I read, lost the ability to root by letting all the factory updates just slide in.
ZGod

Re: Self-install App on H series

Post by ZGod »

You can only do this if you can obtain the widget with the application (typically a zip file). But Orsay and Tizen are quite different operating systems, I expect their applications to be incompatible.

You should also be sure to block updates to the TV. Root on H series is quite beneficial.
cybermaus

Re: Self-install App on H series

Post by cybermaus »

Ah, based on your keywords I found this table
So no luck for me, 2014 really is legacy series. I'll stick to the Chromecast then.

Return to “[H] General”