[Ended][ROOT] H "Skype" root (FW<=Dec.2014, all T-GFS)

Here are software that related with Samsung H series TVs.
Please don't create any new topic here unless you have software to post/release.

Grief
SamyGO Project Donor

Re: [!!!] Rooting H series

Post by Grief »

sectroyer wrote:What's your choice then ?
I am just a curious guy and some kind of perfectionist. I am trying to understand what is the relationship between open telnets and riskless root access. Does the exploit rely on open telnet or it actually use them?
marius2du
SamyGO Project Donor

Post by marius2du »

Hi! Has root been proved to be successful on non-MST or not? My FW: T-NT14UDEUC-1023.2
Thanks.
sectroyer
Official SamyGO Developer

Post by sectroyer »

Grief wrote:
I am just a curious guy and some kind of perfectionist. I am trying to understand what is the relationship between open telnets and riskless root access. Does the exploit rely on open telnet or it actually use them?
You need backdoor in case of brick :)
I do NOT support "latest fw" at ALL. If you have one you should block updates on router and wait for it to STOP being "latest":)
If you want me to help you please paste FULL log(s) to "spoiler"/"code" bbcodes or provide link(s) to pasted file(s) on https://pastebin.com Otherwise "NO HELP"!!!
If you want root DISABLE internet access to your device!!!!
DO NOT EVER INSTALL FIRMWARE UPGRADE !!!!
Grief
SamyGO Project Donor

Post by Grief »

sectroyer wrote:
Grief wrote:
You need backdoor in case of brick :)
I can understand that. But I can't understand why cannot it be protected with a password?
sectroyer

Post by sectroyer »

Grief wrote: I can understand that. But I can't understand why cannot it be protected with a password?
Because that's how this telnet works and send password in plain text (which is how telnet WITH password works) is just stupid ;)
I do NOT support "latest fw" at ALL. If you have one you should block updates on router and wait for it to STOP being "latest":)
If you want me to help you please paste FULL log(s) to "spoiler"/"code" bbcodes or provide link(s) to pasted file(s) on https://pastebin.com Otherwise "NO HELP"!!!
Grief
SamyGO Project Donor

Post by Grief »

sectroyer wrote: Because that's how this telnet works and send password in plain text (which is how telnet WITH password works) is just stupid ;)
But don't you think that sending the password in plain text is still more secure than root access without any password?

It will protect the TV from script kiddies at least.
sectroyer

Post by sectroyer »

Grief wrote:
sectroyer wrote: Because that's how this telnet works and send password in plain text (which is how telnet WITH password works) is just stupid ;)
But don't you think that sending the password in plain text is still more secure than root access without any password?

It will protect the TV from script kiddies at least.
I don't believe in "security trough obscurity" :) Sorry ;)
Grief
SamyGO Project Donor

Post by Grief »

sectroyer wrote: I don't believe in "security trough obscurity" :) Sorry ;)
I really don't mind to start a holywar. Could you please just say is it possible to enable password protections for telnet daemons or not?

P.S. In my opinion it is not "security trough obscurity" as if I will use ssh instead of telnet, the password will never leave the TV. In case of "brick", I will be able to enter telnet console, recover, change password and continue to use ssh. Why do you think it's not secure?
sectroyer

Post by sectroyer »

Grief wrote: Could you please just say is it possible to enable password protections for telnet daemons or not?
Don't know, don't care :)
Grief wrote: Why do you think it's not secure?
Because IMHO it's pointless ;) It will not be "secure" anyway ;)
Grief
SamyGO Project Donor

Post by Grief »

sectroyer wrote: Don't know, don't care :)
What a qualified answer! :ugeek:

P.S. GOT IT! You mean that you added another backdoor for samygo team, right?
P.P.S. As far as I understood, different telnets are for different TV models. You just enabling them all hoping that at least one will work correctly. So why cannot I disable not working ones after I found the port without "job control not running" issue?

P.P.P.S. I have an issue after rooting. TV doesn't power off first time. Instead of that, after pressing the button it shuts down for 5-6 seconds and turns on again. If I press the power button again before samygo getting loaded, it powers off successfully.
Last edited by Grief on Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:02 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Return to “[H] Software”