ExLink cable / port for H series ???

This forum is for information related with H series hardware instead of firmware/software.

thor
SamyGO Project Donor

ExLink cable / port for H series ???

Post by thor »

Hello,

I read many times, that it's recommended to have an ExLink access to TV in order to unbrick it ...
But for my H series UE48H6270, I couldn't find anything helpful how to accomplish this access :-(
I found some information that serial access is still working somehow with H, but w/o info how to do it: But my TV neither has a VGA port, nor a service port (at least I couldn't find it).
Therefore I have two questions:
  1. Is it still recommended/useful to have ExLink, esp. for H series?
  2. If yes, which hardware is necessary, and where to connect it on the TV?
PS: I received information via PM related to UE48H8000AT (thanks Alex): this model has the normal 3.5mm "stereo" jack ExLink port, see below. Unfortunately I've a H6 model, without this port :(
UE48H8000AT ExLink port photo + instructionsShow
Image 3.5mm "stereo" jack ExLink port between the HDMI port and USB ports
Image Cable is simple. No need to convert levels
Thanks!
#Tags: Ex-Link cable ExLink VGA RS232 serial communication TDM Top Debug Menu
Last edited by thor on Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Martin UE48H6270: Firmware T-MST14DEUC-2850.3-1009 Vers. 2860 -> 0000 -> 2781 (last rootable), H "Network" (Wifi) root, LAN-switch, NoDRM
sectroyer
Official SamyGO Developer

Re: ExLink cable / port for H series ???

Post by sectroyer »

You can ONLY try using exlink via usb, good luck :)
I do NOT support "latest fw" at ALL. If you have one you should block updates on router and wait for it to STOP being "latest":)
If you want me to help you please paste FULL log(s) to "spoiler"/"code" bbcodes or provide link(s) to pasted file(s) on https://pastebin.com Otherwise "NO HELP"!!!
If you want root DISABLE internet access to your device!!!!
DO NOT EVER INSTALL FIRMWARE UPGRADE !!!!
thor
SamyGO Project Donor

Post by thor »

sectroyer wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:43 pm You can ONLY try using exlink via usb, good luck :)
Has anybody done this successfully, i.e. connecting a USB-to-RS232 stick to the TV-USB port, and then having the Top Debug Menu on that serial port???

I read that s.o. wanted to use the same approach to do some home automation, and he probably would be quite angry if suddenly there are a lot of log/error messages on that port, instead of his own automation instructions.

My point of view regarding this approach: 100% for sure there is at least on the mainboard an ExLink port somewhere, and the "TDM" process which is responsible for the Top Debug Menu and the log messages is already connected to that internal serial port.
If I now connect a 2nd serial port to the system, I'm very suspicious that Samsung will launch a 2nd instance of the TDM process which connects to my new 2nd port ... ??? Or that the existing process notice that there is a 2nd port, and magically outputs to both ports and reads from both ports???
Martin UE48H6270: Firmware T-MST14DEUC-2850.3-1009 Vers. 2860 -> 0000 -> 2781 (last rootable), H "Network" (Wifi) root, LAN-switch, NoDRM
constantinee

Post by constantinee »

Hi, i have the same tv, any news about this ExLink port ?

TV UE48H6270 (T-MST14DEUC-2117.5 / SamyGO), Root: Skype replacement" root H, Oscam=OK

thor
SamyGO Project Donor

Post by thor »

No, not from my side ...
zoelechat
SamyGO Moderator

Post by zoelechat »

I do NOT receive any PM. Please use forum.
constantinee

Post by constantinee »

hi, after making a homemade Ex-Link cable quickly I managed to get my tv UE48H6270 to work through the audio jack! I even managed to do't in 3 ways! 1 with putty via serial ( used here arduino nano to make an USB TTL Serial cable like Nokia cable and use't through putty), 2 Arduino( UNO) through IDE serial monitor, and finally Rapberry pi3 through its built-in serial port with minicom program, the best part here with RPI is the fact of being able to debug tv remotely via wifi/ssh without even using a pc! If anyone is interested I can make a small detailed tutorial for each method :D

some screenshots:
SpoilerShow
Arduino / IDE serial monitor :

Rapberry pi3 / Minicom remotely (wifi/ssh ) :

USB TTL Serial/Putty :
Last edited by constantinee on Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.

TV UE48H6270 (T-MST14DEUC-2117.5 / SamyGO), Root: Skype replacement" root H, Oscam=OK

juusso
SamyGO Moderator

Post by juusso »

Yes, please share your experience. Always interesting!
LE40B653T5W,UE40D6750,UE65Q8C
Have questions? Read SamyGO Wiki, Search on forum first!
FFB (v0.8), FFB for CI+ . Get root on: C series, D series, E series, F series, H series. rooting K series, exeDSP/exeTV patches[C/D/E/F/H]

DO NOT EVER INSTALL FIRMWARE UPGRADE
Magicinfobad

Post by Magicinfobad »

i have made an exlink cable and connected it to the port labled "rs232c IN" on my tv, and i set rs232 mode to "Debug"
i have tried many baudrates (including 115,200 and 9,600) and different models of samsung tv (C series and H series) and both give me the same garbage random unicode characters in terminal.

im using a CH340G adapter that does work with regular UART devices (both 5V and 3.3V devices) and from what i can find online, it should be compatible with rs232?
im not sure what im doing wrong tho, maybe my adapter isnt meant for this or maybe im not using the right settings (default in minicom, 8N1).

Return to “[H] Hardware”