Frustrated first post - using WD Cinema Drive outside of US with JS series????

Here for general support for J series TVs, request and problem solve area.

jamessh1

Frustrated first post - using WD Cinema Drive outside of US with JS series????

Post by jamessh1 »

hi all,

I live in Canada and have a 65 JS9500 tv. I purchased a WD cinema drive from an AVS forum member in the USA. Using a DNS service I was able to access the US smart hub apps, and can run netflix US with only occasional issues (i have to refresh the DNS from my provider). For Fandango and MGO my TV won't recognize the WD My cinema drive as a vidity enabled device. I can explore the files on the drive but with the new Fandango app it isn't even showing a purchase option for the HDR movies, nor is it showing any of the HDR movies from the drive in my library. the app itself appears to work fine for streaming movies, and I did make a purchase to test that it works. But zero luck with the drive and HDR movies.

I thought that maybe I just needed to use a VPN. Using my laptop as wifi hotspot (with connectify) i still cannot fool my set into working with the drive and vidity HDR files :evil: :evil: :evil: .

has anyone with a JS series set living outside of the USA been able to get the fandango (or previous MGO) app to work and play HDR Vidity files on their TV?

Originally i thought the drive was faulty and sent it back to the seller in the US to check if it worked on his JS9500 (he had 2 drives). Sure enough it loaded and worked fine on his set, which tells me the drive is fine, and likely the app is fine....what has to happen for the set to fully function and work with the WD My passport cinema drive.

I've been frustrated for months and hope someone on this forum has conquered this issue :)
Lordbyte
Official SamyGO Developer

Re: Frustrated first post - using WD Cinema Drive outside of US with JS series????

Post by Lordbyte »

First of all, make sure YOU are in control of YOUR network.

What port does the Fandango app want to use ?
What port does the streaming occour on ?

Are those ports opened in your routers firewall ?

Can you stream the files and view them on your PC .. given your current network setup ?

Can the TV stream a native matroska or mpeg file from the drive in question ?

Did you enable multicast on the router .... and does multicast need to be enabled ?

You have got a lot of research to do, before you can narrow down the source of your problem ;-)

Best of luck !
I provide NO assistance by PM, unless absolutely necessary. Please ask questions in dedicated topics.
sectroyer
Official SamyGO Developer

Re: Frustrated first post - using WD Cinema Drive outside of US with JS series????

Post by sectroyer »

If you EVER want to achieve what you ask for you should FIRST block updates on router. Without it you are ONLY wasting your time :)
I do NOT support "latest fw" at ALL. If you have one you should block updates on router and wait for it to STOP being "latest":)
If you want me to help you please paste FULL log(s) to "spoiler"/"code" bbcodes or provide link(s) to pasted file(s) on https://pastebin.com Otherwise "NO HELP"!!!
If you want root DISABLE internet access to your device!!!!
DO NOT EVER INSTALL FIRMWARE UPGRADE !!!!
M11
SamyGO Project Donor

Post by M11 »

Canada TVs are using same firmware as US TVs? If yes, then it should work. Did it work with the old v2.x M-GO app?

European firmware is missing the emp for hard drive access and this caused problems with old M-GO app. It had the emp line in config.xml and because it was missing in European firmware, the install failed.

The new v3.x app seems to be a native Tizen app and it appears to load the hard drive access emp in code or in another way.
F9000 + SEK-3500U
jamessh1

Post by jamessh1 »

i could never get it to work on the old MGO app.

The app would load, it would show vidity movies....heck i even downloaded a movie. now, despite thinking I had the full app I think my credit card is also an issue. Using my PC i can't update my credit card info. it keeps saying server issue (it can probably tell i have a CDN credit card). i'm going to look into activating a US credit card....one small step at a time but I'm not getting my hopes up :(

much thanks to the other posters as well. I have LOTS more research to do :(

Return to “[J] Support”