Email notifier

Here are software that related with Samsung B series TVs. Like hex editors, new version of BusyBox or internal software, app programs that will run in your TV hardware.:!:This forum is NOT FOR USER QUESTIONS or Problems.

jw1001

Email notifier

Post by jw1001 »

This is a Windows application that will send email messages to a Samsung TV's Message function. It was developed for a B650 TV, but should also work on other high-end B-series, including B750 and B7000 series. It may also work on C-series with "AllShare".

The Message function was designed for use with a few Samsung cell-phones. The message format and protocols were revealed by this project (member doodlecz in particular, http://forum.samygo.tv/viewtopic.php?f= ... t=40#p5245), and I thought it would be good to have it do something more useful. Since then, a few other applications have appeared, and maybe more are in development.

My idea was to use the service to view incoming e-mail. I am not much of a programmer, but I was inspired by member moras86's Remote Control application to learn how to use the Windows "AutoIt" scripting language, and chose this application as a learning project. It's been developed to the point where it's working reasonably well on my own mailboxes, but it needs wider testing, so I've uploaded it in the hope that others will try it out and provide some feedback.

The download "readme" file describes what the app does and how to set it up. In summary, the app is designed to run on a (networked) Windows system, periodically checking a POP3 mail-box for new messages and sending plain-text details to a Samsung TV with Message function enabled. The TV will then notify the viewer a new "SMS" message has arrived and prompt for its display.

Run the app once to set up the basic parameters. It's advisable to use a PC with a working mail client, to ensure there's no networking issue, but the latest version has a test mode that will carry out a communications check for the POP server. The TV Message function can also be checked using this mode.

Issues that may be seen will include the "Unique ID" (UID) and the formatting of messages (causing problems in sending). The debug file, if enabled, should provide some help for feedback. UID is used to track messages and the format varies from server to server, so the regular string expression used to parse the sequence number might need to change - post back the UID lines from the debug file if you're not sure how to do this. Alternatively, you can set the parameter "Non-sequential UID" to "1" - this doesn't look for the sequence number, but instead stores the full UID in a separate file for tracking, but it hasn't been as well tested and may not be as reliable.

Other issues may relate to the formatting of messages. Emails have many different headers and an almost infinite variety of combinations, but I have managed to get a reasonable representation of plain-text (including multipart and conversion of quoted-printable characters). I have also put in some filters for garbage in Subject and Address headers (sourceforge.com is the worst for these, though other subscription or unsolicited sources do it as well). Please let me have details of any problems.

Edit: for latest download links, see post http://forum.samygo.tv/viewtopic.php?f= ... 322#p29544
Last edited by jw1001 on Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jw1001

Re: Email notifier

Post by jw1001 »

Here are some TV screen pictures, using the built-in test mode.
Notification.jpg
Message 1.jpg
Start 2.jpg
Finish 2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
moras86
Official SamyGO Developer

Post by moras86 »

Hi jw1001

Really like you app. Try it for my Gmail account and work good.
You should work on GUI for easy set all options from one place.

PS: Can you upload source code. ;)
Image . Image
TV LCD: Samsung LE40B651T3W (CI) | Internet@TV | fw: 2005 (patched: SamyGO v0.24 + GMT2, ArFIX2, ADFIX) | matrix: SQ04
BluRay: Samsung BD-D5300-ZF | SamsungApps | fw: 1013
Android-Box: Zidoo X8 | Realtek RTD1295 64bit (QuadCore), Mali-T820 GPU, 2 GB RAM, HDMI IN record, Android 6.0 | ZDMC 17.1
my projects: Remote LAN Control - Desktop app (v0.8) | Signal checker for DVB-T (v0.3)
jw1001

Post by jw1001 »

Source is not really a problem, just that it needed a lot of tidying to make it presentable. It was the first AutoIt3 script I started writing and some early parts look a bit strange now :oops:

I recently upgraded the SCITE editor and found lots of new tools I could have used in development, including the forms editor, so I may add the GUI once I learn how to use that. For now, I have just cleaned up the last version to make it a bit more readable.

There's a few new bits I don't think are documented. I added a BlackList section to the config.ini file, but I haven't really tested it. It should work on partial matches of sender names. It wouldn't be hard to add a word filter for subject line or message body.

Edit: latest download link below File name: SamyGo email notifier source v0.7c.zip File size: 21.74 KB
Last edited by jw1001 on Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lorand

Post by Lorand »

Could you please reupload this app? Thank you.
jw1001

Post by jw1001 »

Still seems available from original links, though there's now some more hoops to jump through for free use e.g. 10 minutes between downloads. What problem are you having?
Lorand

Post by Lorand »

The problem is this: "FileServe can only be used to download and retrieve files that you have uploaded personally." :)
That's why I ask you to upload the app to a "real" filesharing server.
jw1001

Post by jw1001 »

I didn't realise it had changed. The files have been downloaded around 250 times by other users but no-one mentioned it before now.

I only used that site because this forum wouldn't accept the files last year, but it seems to have done it now.

Edit: NB does NOT work with Gmail or other SSL-authenticated servers.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by jw1001 on Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lorand

Post by Lorand »

Thanks for the files.
Unfortunately I can't use it with my gmail account because the SSL authentification... :(
jw1001

Post by jw1001 »

moras86 wrote:Hi jw1001
Really like you app. Try it for my Gmail account and work good.
You should work on GUI for easy set all options from one place.

PS: Can you upload source code. ;)
I'm afraid moras86's post above was untrue. The program will NOT work with Gmail as I couldn't find an Autoit library script for SSL. I think the difficulty is maybe handling the certificates.

I did add the GUI, but haven't compiled the later version. I'll post it if anyone asks.

Return to “[B] Software”