UN32D5500R: bricked after hit MICOM upgrade...

This forum is for information related with D series hardware.

bajinchi

UN32D5500R: bricked after hit MICOM upgrade...

Post by bajinchi »

Hello!

After doing a wrong update to my Samsung LED UN32D5500RGXPE to the MICOM chip... (did?t have a clue what it was)... I?d bricked my TV...
Now, when I plug it to the AC outlet... nothing happens... NOTHING...
Using Google, I hit this page, and this article, so I?m sorry if I bring it back... but this "toggle" can help me out?
I work fixing video game consoles (reballing, RGH) as well as laptops (have a few programmers like Willem LPT, a USB SPI programmer and an Infectus 2)...
So I think I can do something about this, but reading the whole sub-forum about this TV, didn?t have a small idea of what it have inside...

The original issue, was the customer of this TV was playing around to make this TV to work as a DVR... and he messed up with something, as the TV rebooted every 30 seconds, and no remote control inputs was taken.

After trying, I made the TV back to work, but now being operative for 2 minutes (clockwork) and then ,reboot again, but at least, I was able to switch channels and operate the volume and menu...

But... when I hit MICOM upgrade... without google that first... I brick the TV :(

Any help?

The board id is: BN41-01577A

Thanks for reading this.
juusso
SamyGO Moderator

Re: UN32D5500R: bricked after hit MICOM upgrade...

Post by juusso »

Hi,

micom upgrade is terra incognita here and i don`t remember anyone succeed to repair after touching this menu.
i don`t think you can do anything with your board except:
1) replace with another, working mainboard (new/used), this will cost you ~100USD
2) probably you could reball micom chip if you find another one from another (bricked?) tv

much more easier way is first one, IMO...
LE40B653T5W,UE40D6750,UE65Q8C
Have questions? Read SamyGO Wiki, Search on forum first!
FFB (v0.8), FFB for CI+ . Get root on: C series, D series, E series, F series, H series. rooting K series, exeDSP/exeTV patches[C/D/E/F/H]

DO NOT EVER INSTALL FIRMWARE UPGRADE
bajinchi

Post by bajinchi »

juuso wrote:Hi,

micom upgrade is terra incognita here and i don`t remember anyone succeed to repair after touching this menu.
i don`t think you can do anything with your board except:
1) replace with another, working mainboard (new/used), this will cost you ~100USD
2) probably you could reball micom chip if you find another one from another (bricked?) tv

much more easier way is first one, IMO...
Hi juuso,

Thanks for the heads up, I was thinking about the same... I can reball the IC from another board to this one, but the problem is that only I can get the board BN41-01577B here, and this is a BN41-01577A, no idea if that could work, I can switch all the ICs, but no idea.

Thanks a lot!

Bajinchi
juusso
SamyGO Moderator

Post by juusso »

why then you need to reball if you can simple swap mainboards?
I don't think A or B plays any significant role.

but if you have bricked board and for some reason you prefer to reball chips, check micom label, both boards have same chip :-)
LE40B653T5W,UE40D6750,UE65Q8C
Have questions? Read SamyGO Wiki, Search on forum first!
FFB (v0.8), FFB for CI+ . Get root on: C series, D series, E series, F series, H series. rooting K series, exeDSP/exeTV patches[C/D/E/F/H]

DO NOT EVER INSTALL FIRMWARE UPGRADE
bajinchi

Post by bajinchi »

Hi again,

Please let me know if I have to open a new thread, regarding the questions I?m about to make :D
OK, so I get this BN41-01577B board... I swapped IC1301, wich is a BGA (sec 140 hib 6) don?t really sure what it is, looks like a NAND BGA... which is close to a TSOP48 NAND...
Nothing happend... (the board from which I took it don?t turn on eihter, I thought it was by an electrical problem, now, maybe it was bricked too:()
Replace also the EPROM, the Weltrend chip and the I2C memory it have near...
Still no turning on, but at least, the SEMS21 (Decoder IC) now it?s getting hot (normal heat)... but nothing more...
So... now my question is... if this SEMS21 IC have some inside too, as all the traces from all the NANDs, EPROMS and I2C and HDMI inputs, goes all to this IC.
Also, I notices one board have a SEMS21 1143S-lf chip and the other an SEMS21 1113A-LF IC... so, no idea if they are the same... or not!

I?m so blind!

So, anyway, if someone have this board, please feel free to contact me to sell it :) (I hope to not broke any forum law telling this)

Thanks !
sbav1
Official SamyGO Developer

Post by sbav1 »

I'm not all that much familiar with D5XXX models; but: in Samsung nomenclature (for 2009 TV models and up), "MICOM" most certainly means Weltrend (WT61P*) chip - in recent Samsung TV models, it should be rather called sub-micom, or standby-micom, but never mind ;).

This Weltrend chip has internal, built-in flash ROM (48kB, or perhaps 64kB - depending on the exact version). In case of accidentally executed "MICOM upgrade/update" from factory menu, this internal flash ROM contents will be no longer valid, and that's most probably the root of your problem. Replacing only the Weltrend chip (as long as it's exactly the same version - and preferably from the very same model/mainboard revision), should actually do the job.

Sadly, there are no publicly available detailed datasheet[s] for those Weltrend chip[s]. That's quite unfortunate, because they apparently have built-in JTAG/ICE interfaces (plus, usually, some kind of their own serial console). I bet the WT61P* MICOM bad-flash situations are in fact very much recoverable (i.e., without replacing/resoldering the chips), we just don't know how to do it :(.
BTW, I (vaguely) remember: some time ago, some clever guy (from Russia, AFAIRC) managed to dump the Weltrend chip flash contents via JTAG interface (???). But I don't know any details - who, and how exactly.
Still no turning on, but at least, the SEMS21 (Decoder IC) now it?s getting hot (normal heat)... but nothing more...
So... now my question is... if this SEMS21 IC have some inside too, as all the traces from all the NANDs, EPROMS and I2C and HDMI inputs, goes all to this IC.
SEMS* == Mstar-designed & Samsung-manufactured main TV SoC (in D5XXX models - guessing from T-MST5* firmware name - it's actually Mstar X5 chip). I your case, I don't think it is all that productive to touch/replace it (or any of it's peripherals). Also, usually there is separate I2C EEPROM (24C02 or so) connected directly to Weltrend MICOM.

Was there any reaction at all from your 2nd (supposed to have an "electrical problem" - whatever that means) mainboard - ?
I mean, even in case if the mainboard is otherwise badly shot, in standby mode (as long as Weltrend chip is up-and-running, the A5V standby voltage is provided to the mainboard, and the 5.5V -> 3.3V DC/DC converter is OK), usually the front LED will at least flash while receiving signals from remote control. If not, perhaps you replaced the badly-flashed Weltrend chip with otherwise-electrically-damaged Weltrend chip :?
bajinchi

Post by bajinchi »

Thanks a lot! I?ll give a try to the Weltrend chip!

Thanks for the directions! I?ll google to see what I find

Thanks!

Return to “[D] Hardware”