Manual DNS Setting Not working? Can I hardcode it?

Here for general support for F series TVs, request and problem solve area.

bobg2007
SamyGO Project Donor

Manual DNS Setting Not working? Can I hardcode it?

Post by bobg2007 »

Hi Guys,

I have a very strange issue with my F8000 that I was hoping someone could help with.

I have rooted my tv and installed Apps from multiple regions and I am using the UK hub as my base so that I can run Netflix ( the US Netflix App does not work in Australia ).

To get past Geoblocking I use a DNS service like unblock-us. This service has a webpage where you can check that your DNS is set correctly.

After a period of time of watching Hulu I get kicked out of it and when I try to go back in it states that 'This service is not available to international customers'. I check the network setting and it still says that my Internet access is up and the DNS is set to manual correctly to the DNS provider. I then use the TV's web browser to do the check I mentioned above and it states that my DNS isn't correct! Then if I re-enter it into my TV and check again, it says its fine and Hulu starts working again!.

So it seems that something is going wrong with my network service on the TV and my manual DNS setting is not being used even though it states it is!

Does anyone have any idea on how to get around this? or why its happening? Perhaps I can set the DNS value at the command line somehow?

cheers.
M11
SamyGO Project Donor

Re: Manual DNS Setting Not working? Can I hardcode it?

Post by M11 »

No idea why this happens. I'm also using it and never had this problem. But if you can install dd-wrt on your router, you could forward DNS. I use this for my mobile devices. This works even if device or app has hardcoded DNS servers. For example Chromecast uses Google DNS server, I just forward 8.8.8.8 to my DNS provider in router.
I did check the new Netflix app and it also had Google DNS coded into it.

One more thing, I'm setting DNS server in router because I don't want to run all my DNS trough a unknown server.
F9000 + SEK-3500U
juusso
SamyGO Moderator

Post by juusso »

in SamyGO extensions here is script, called server replacement and it is disabled by default. Here you can override nameserver.
LE40B653T5W,UE40D6750,UE65Q8C
Have questions? Read SamyGO Wiki, Search on forum first!
FFB (v0.8), FFB for CI+ . Get root on: C series, D series, E series, F series, H series. rooting K series, exeDSP/exeTV patches[C/D/E/F/H]

DO NOT EVER INSTALL FIRMWARE UPGRADE
Lordbyte
Official SamyGO Developer

Post by Lordbyte »

This makes me think ...

@juuso, you know so much stuff about SamyGO, and I still feel I know nothing nothing nothing.

Is there *any* documentation or is everything "experiment-driven" when it comes to learning
about possiblilties, options, switches, tricks, and "do-not?s" .. ?

SamyGO is still much a blackbox to me .. Lots of us users are not Linux-experts (or even users) (up to now) :-)

I mean, I can find lots of info here on forum, like how to make a credentials-file for Samba,
but the search-process is still tedious .. There really ought to be a real SamyGo wiki ... More than just how to install root.

I would aid .. if I knew anything worth knowing ..
I provide NO assistance by PM, unless absolutely necessary. Please ask questions in dedicated topics.
juusso
SamyGO Moderator

Post by juusso »

@Lordbyte

i`m not creator of Extensions, maybe i had time to understand what`s inside. I don`t think i will re-write any of existing wiki articles, no much time nor wish for that. But i don`t mind if anyone else do this! :)
LE40B653T5W,UE40D6750,UE65Q8C
Have questions? Read SamyGO Wiki, Search on forum first!
FFB (v0.8), FFB for CI+ . Get root on: C series, D series, E series, F series, H series. rooting K series, exeDSP/exeTV patches[C/D/E/F/H]

DO NOT EVER INSTALL FIRMWARE UPGRADE

Return to “[F] Support”