What fonts are in my UE32C for subtitles ?

Support for C series TVs that all user could ask. Please do not ask a questions at other forums.

gabier

What fonts are in my UE32C for subtitles ?

Post by gabier »

Hello everybody,

This is my first post here, and I am discovering smart TVs world. I have a good data processing background but I have never bothered to look inside my TV.

My problem is that I want to read videos on my UE32C. Those videos are in my desktop computer and they are displayed on the TV via MediaPlay. This works OK, but the problem is with subtitles. The tests I have made so far were done with srt files. In srt files you insert only the text of every subtitle and the time for displaying it. All style features are the default ones.

I would like to specify the font, the size and color of these subtitles. The manual says that MP4 ttxt files or SAMI files are decoded, and the Samsung phone support has told me that the TV would decode those format (they told me formats in "HTML" or "XML") and the instructions enclosed in these files.I have not yet tried these subtitles files, because I would like to specify a font, but I do not know what fonts are in the TV and if it is possible to put other fonts in there (for instance fonts with outline, which are very well readable).

Besides the specific answer about fonts, any suggestion about my project are welcome (documentation on subtitles files, tutorials, ...)

:) Gabier
beatfreak
SamyGO Project Donor

Re: What fonts are in my UE32C for subtitles ?

Post by beatfreak »

AFAIK its not possible to set font and size by settings in the subtile-flie.
font-color might be possible as my C6500 supports different colors when i have activated subtils for DTV-channels.
you may also try to put your video files and subtitles on a usb-drive and then play them via media play (i assume you are currently using dlna/upnp streaming?) the file compatibility is higher when the media files are found on a mounted filesystem inside of TVs OS
the best attempt would be downloading some random sample subtile files in different formats and them point to various time segments of one video file, this way you should quickly be able to see which formats and formattings are supported

P.S. if you need to specify your model more closely when asking something here read a bit in the wiki first
//UE40C6500 @ T-VALDEUC 3011 // rooted manual HotelMode style // PVR to NFS via 18MB on-the-fly sparse XFS //
FYI: you can close your ssh session with SamyGO with

Code: Select all

~.
If you can't fix it using dvct tape, you are not using enough dvct tape.
gabier

Post by gabier »

beatfreak wrote: if you need to specify your model more closely when asking something here read a bit in the wiki first
Thank you for the link, and sorry for the lack of precision.
My TV's model is UE32C6740
beatfreak wrote:AFAIK its not possible to set font and size by settings in the subtile-flie.
I am surprised of your opinion. The user manual which came with myTV states that MP4 containers are allowed, and that the subtitles files to be associated with it are .ttxt files, which are indeed the standard subtitles files in the MP4 standard. If Samsung fulfills this commitment, they must implement a decoder compliant with this.
If they do, it is possible in the .ttxt files, which are coded in XML, to specify styles, i.e. fonts, colors, sizes, and other styles.
I must admit that although my .ttxt file works perfectly when muxed in an MP4 file and read by VLC, I could not have it read by the TV until now. I submitted the problem to Samsung France, they could not answer why this file could not be decoded, and they are supposed to perform some tests to find out.
beatfreak wrote:you may also try to put your video files and subtitles on a usb-drive and then play them via media play
Yes I have recorded and demuxed a 10 minutes bilingual video with subtitles, demuxed it and tested a multiplex in AVI, MKV, TS on an USB key. The TV reads all of them, with choice of language but the subtitles worked so far only when srt files.
I am waiting for Samsung coming back to me to know if .ttxt files are readable and how.

:) gabier
beatfreak
SamyGO Project Donor

Post by beatfreak »

gabier wrote:they could not answer why this file could not be decoded, and they are supposed to perform some tests to find out.

wow, i'd have expected that samsung doesn't even care about problems with a TV series that is far pout of warranty time... ^^
//UE40C6500 @ T-VALDEUC 3011 // rooted manual HotelMode style // PVR to NFS via 18MB on-the-fly sparse XFS //
FYI: you can close your ssh session with SamyGO with

Code: Select all

~.
If you can't fix it using dvct tape, you are not using enough dvct tape.

Return to “[C] Support”