Seeking in Mediaplayer

Here for general support for B series TVs, request and problem solve area.

flo-ogb

Seeking in Mediaplayer

Post by flo-ogb »

It's been bugging me since the beginning: I can't seek through videos in the media player *properly*. For DLNA files seeking is extremly jumpy, hold the button a second to long and you jump 10 minutes past, but at least you can actually seek through half a movie.

In USB files (=NFS/CIFS) seeking is much more smooth but the TV does really small jumps, so it takes aaaaages (at least you can press blue to resume). Recently I discovered that you can press FF and it goes to 2x speed, but I can't exit that mode again (maybe PVR interferes?). I really hoped it could jump to 16x speed like most DVD players do.

Is this a common problem or am I doing something wrong here? Is there any way to jump to a specific timecode or jump forward 15 minutes or something? TV is runnig modified T-CHUCIPDEUC 3000.0 with PVR, ChannelInfo and ARFix v2

Also I did look into the UPNP functions the TV exports and I find functions that let me jump to a specific timecode (at least their name suggests that). I'm using UPNP-Inspector and tried sending timecodes, but I did not manage to let it jump to a specific or relative position. Some other functions (pause, volume, reading currrent playback position) worked though. Do any of you guys have some input about this? I would like to hack up some perl-script that would let me seek somewhere, maybe sombody could even make an extension. Maybe there is an application that can make this work other then UPNP-Inspector or does the Samsung DLNA Server have a function like this? I would really like to sniff some packets then :mrgreen:
erdem_ua
SamyGO Admin

Re: Seeking in Mediaplayer

Post by erdem_ua »

Slow seeking is highly related with "buffer" size of NFS... Try to increase buffer will give you better results. :)
(Look at init scipts)
flo-ogb

Post by flo-ogb »

do you mean rsize as a mount option? i tried switching to tcp transport (which increases rsize from 32kb to 256kb) but without much of an effect. i did not find anything else related to nfs in the init scripts (just the tcp/udp/rsize examples). maybe i could try increasing rsize to 1mb, but the maximum value the tv negotiated to was 256kb.

so right now i'm using "ro,soft,nolock,tcp" wich results in "rsize=262144,wsize=262144"
erdem_ua
SamyGO Admin

Post by erdem_ua »

Seeking speed is also related with your files fragmentation on your HDD. If you use aMule/torrent. Than downloaded file is heavily fragmented.You needed to defrag that file (like moving another partition...).
There is also some flags to avoid fragmentation on download ( like preserving while file at startup of download).

I have problems on this. My movie cut at half randomly due this fragmentation. It fixed with moving files to another partition. Defragmented files seeks better... It might be your problem too :)
flo-ogb

Post by flo-ogb »

hmm, i just checked, the file has no fragments

Code: Select all

xfs_bmap -l test.mkv 
test.mkv:
        0: [0..28719215]: 1765705144..1794424359 28719216 blocks
i will search for something smaller (this is a 14gb file) and copy it to a tmpfs, that way i can make sure it's not server-side i/o related. maybe also copy that same file on a usb-stick...
mattberlin
SamyGO Project Donor

Post by mattberlin »

Has there been any progress by now concerning fast seeking in movies played via a nfs share?

What should I change in my mount script?:

mount -o nolock 192.168.100.2:/e/Movies $USB/Movies -t nfs

Thanks in advance
Matthias
my TV: LE32B679
erdem_ua
SamyGO Admin

Post by erdem_ua »

Seeking on NFS working good here. But some files seek slower than others. It's highly related with files fragmentation level. Also, buffer sizes are effective also.
Look at 03_03_nfsmount.init options:

Code: Select all

# M_OPTS="soft,udp,async,nolock,rsize=32768,wsize=8192"
# M_OPTS="rw,soft,udp,nolock,rsize=32768,wsize=32768"
# M_OPTS="soft,tcp,nolock,rsize=32768,wsize=32768"
# M_OPTS="soft,tcp,nolock,rsize=8192,wsize=8192"
M_OPTS="soft,tcp,nolock"
You can enable other options too for testing and could select which one is better to you.
mattberlin
SamyGO Project Donor

Post by mattberlin »

Thx for the options. Well, I've tried all of them. I have got the impression that the 5th option seems to be a little quicker in terms of seeking. But, I'm not that sure. I'd appreciate to read what other users have experienced.
my TV: LE32B679
flo-ogb

Post by flo-ogb »

someone has written a patch that "fixes" this problem. it works great :mrgreen: right now you can use it to change the behavior of the up/down keys in the media player. normally they are bound to "start of movie" and "end of movie". with this patch you can override these and put 300 seconds for example. and the best is, that this should not interfere with any other patches.

http://forum.samygo.tv/viewtopic.php?ui ... t=0#p13602

for the record, did anyone find a way to make nfs seek a bit more like dlna share? or did anyone find out how to seek via upnp? there is an interface exported for this function, but it does not seem to work...

Return to “[B] Support”