K series PC mode?

General forum talking area for K series TVs.

WeaselFerret

K series PC mode?

Post by WeaselFerret »

Hi,

Thanks for hosting this great forum, it is very helpful to Samsung TV owners who want to get the most out of their display.

I am able to access the service menu for model UN40KU6290-FXZA, using a full-featured remote and the key combination of Mute+1+8+2+Power. Unfortunately, I am bewildered by all of the acronyms and codes. Does anyone have information about what these many obscure settings are and how they work?

Specifically, I am trying to force the TV into "PC mode" for all pixel formats, resolutions and scan rates. Currently, if I connect a PC and set it to RGB 4:4:4 at very specific resolution/scan rates, then the TV goes into PC mode. Some of the user settings in the Picture menu get grayed out. The image on the TV looks AMAZING. CE Dimming is turned off. All image processing is disabled. It looks fantastic!

But if I connect any non-PC device such as a Blu-Ray or Roku, the TV goes into AV mode. It looks TERRIBLE. CE Dimming can't be disabled, so the screen brightness constantly changes depending on the image content. Edge enhancement makes everything look sickly and diseased. AV mode is unwatchable.

So, is there a way to tweak the service menu to force PC mode for all pixel formats, resolutions, and scan rates? Or at least to disable CE Dimming globally? I can't figure out how to do anything in this cryptic service menu, and I obviously don't want to brick the TV.

Thanks!
zoelechat
SamyGO Moderator

Re: K series PC mode?

Post by zoelechat »

You should be able to set "Game Mode" (disable all enhancements and reduce input lag) into picture menu as soon as source is HDMI, probably same as "PC mode" (?)
I do NOT receive any PM. Please use forum.
WeaselFerret

Post by WeaselFerret »

It's definitely not Game Mode. That looked incredibly dreadful as well, the colors and contrast were wrong and the CD Dimming still occurred.

If the TV goes into PC mode, then Game Mode is one of the things that is grayed out.
Quadie5Ny

Post by Quadie5Ny »

CE Dimming is enabled in every mode, including Game Mode and Movie Mode (before Tizen Movie Mode would disable CE Dimming).

I'm not quite sure why Samsung thinks it is a good idea, it messes with the picture quality by not only changing the max light output, but it also changes the gamma, contrast and saturation during backlight level changes.
WeaselFerret

Post by WeaselFerret »

It's defective by design. Do higher end models have the ability to defeat the feature? If so, it's a method of extracting more capital.
Quadie5Ny

Post by Quadie5Ny »

Nope, even the high end models have that issue.
masterturk

Post by masterturk »

So there is no way to disable CE Dimming? even through Service Menu? very disappointed

what is 'PC Mode Dimming Support' in Service Menu? its turned on but PC Mode is actually the only one that doesnt dim lol so i wondered what turning it off would do but i am not man enough to try it

Return to “[K] General”