RolRemote: Yet another software remote (for Win & Linux)

Here are software that related with Samsung D series TVs.
Please don't create any new topic here unless you have software to post/release.

rol

RolRemote: Yet another software remote (for Win & Linux)

Post by rol »

Thanks to the help provided by oga83 here, I've written a Samsung Remote program in Tcl/Tk. It works fine with my UE40D6500, but it should work with all Samsung TVs. It doesn't require a rooted TV nor IR hardware.
It runs under Windows or Linux, but it is not designed for a smartphone or tablet. It has roughly the same look and feel than the normal hardware remote, and it is totally configurable.

Download:
RolRemote_win.7z
RolRemote_linux.7z
RolRemote_src.7z

Installation:
Extract the exe from the archive, and copy it in any directory. (Linux users should set the executable flag on the file.)
Launch the program. The first time it is run, it will prompt you if you want to install the program as portable or normally. Then it will display a dialog asking the IP of the TV, and the IP, MAC address and host name of the local PC. (Under Windows, the IP, MAC and hostname of the local PC should be already in the dialog.) Finally, the main window will be opened, and the file "RolRemote_user_template.cfg" will be created in the config directory. When the program is closed, it will also create the RolRemote_auto.cfg file.
If you need to redefine the IPs, MAC or hostname later, right-click the remote and select the "Settings" menu.
The config directory is the installation directory in portable mode, or %APPDATA%\RolRemote (under Windows) and ~/.RolRemote (under Linux) in normal mode.
The first time you send a command to the TV, you may have to accept the new remote (using the normal hardware remote!)

For programmers and expert users: The program is written in Tcl/Tk, an interpreted scripting language. If you have Tcl/Tk installed on your system (it's often the case under Linux, but rarely under Windows), you can download and execute the source files instead of the exe file.

Usage:
All buttons of the remote send the KEY corresponding to the same button of the hardware remote, except the lightbulb pink button, that sends the "ECO mode" command, and the PIP button, that has been added. Most buttons have a keyboard shortcut. (Right-click the remote and select the "Buttons" entry of the popup menu to see the list of the shortcuts.)
Some buttons can also be middle-clicked (or Control-clicked), to access another function. For example, Control-clicking the Source button sends the HDMI command, that allows you to cycle through the HDMI inputs.

By default, the remote uses the KEY codes that work fine with my UE40D6500. If some buttons do not work as expected (or if you want to change some of them), copy or rename the config file "RolRemote_user_template.cfg" to "RolRemote_user.cfg" and edit it. You can redefine the KEY sent to the TV for any button and for any control-clicked button. You can also define one or several menus to send keys that have no buttons. That menus will appear as normal menus, on the top side of the remote window. You can also access them from the right-click popup menu. For example, you can define a "Channel" menu with keys or macros to select your preferred channels. See the comment in the config file for more info. Note that you have to restart the program after having edited the config file, to take your edits into account.

Any button or menu entry can send a macro instead of a single key. A macro is a sequence of keys (and optionally pauses) separated with plus (+) or coma (,) characters. A pause (in ms) may optionally be inserted between two keys. To check all available keys with your TV, or test a macro, right-click the remote and select "Send raw key". A small window will appear, where you can select any key in the list of known keys, or type a macro. Click the Help button in that window for more info about the format of the macros.

Hint:
The menus have a first entry with a dotted line. When you select that menu entry, the menu is "detached" and placed in a little window. You can use that window to access easily any function of the menu.

Have fun!
Last edited by rol on Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:26 am, edited 5 times in total.
fred2

Re: Yet another software remote (for Win and Linux)

Post by fred2 »

Thank you for the very good remote control !
This is the best I have seen so far.
Works perfect with my UE37D6500
rol

Post by rol »

Thanks for the positive feedback! :-)

BTW, have you had to redefine some keys, or does it work out of the box?
I'm interested in knowing if it is universal, or if it is specific to the D series or a specific model.

@everybody: If you have a TV that needs other keys and you edit the RolRemote_user.cfg file, please post it here. I will release the alternate configurations for the other models. Thanks in advance.
fred2

Post by fred2 »

It worked out of the box for me.
However it did not create the template file and the config file only contains the settings so I am not able to modify the keys yet.
I am using windows vista here so it may have something to do with this.
I tried both portable and normal mode
Let me know if I can help !
Thank you again for the work !
rol

RolRemote v0.2

Post by rol »

Oops, yes, sorry. There is a bug in the exe version of v0.1, and the default config file is not created. I've fixed the bug.
Please download v0.2. When you launch it, it should create the RolRemote_user_template.cfg file in your config directory.
(BTW, the RolRemote_user_template.cfg file can also be found in the src archive.)

Code: Select all

# v0.1 (September 26, 2012)
# - First release
# v0.2 (September 27, 2012)
# - The file RolRemote_user_template.cfg was not created when launching the wrapped exe for the first time.
# - The Edit Config menu worked only when the file RolRemote_user.cfg was present in the config directory.
(The download links are in the first post of this thread.)
Last edited by rol on Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fred2

Re: RolRemote: Yet another software remote (for Win and Linu

Post by fred2 »

Yes, it works now ! Thank you
Another small bug : the item "edit config" in the right click menu does not work. It does nothing here.
I need to use my editor to change the config file. Perhaps it needs to find a certain editor ?
This is a minor problem of course. You are fast in removing bugs ! Again my congratulations. I am sure more people here appreciate your work
rol

Re: RolRemote: Yet another software remote (for Win & Linux)

Post by rol »

"Edit config" is supposed to launch Notepad with the right file already loaded. I'll have a look at that bug.

You can theoretically use any text editor to edit the config file. However, if you want to create new menus and you need foreign characters (such as French accented characters) in the menu labels, you must save the file in ANSI encoding. Not all editor can do that. I think Notepad doesn't change the original encoding, so it should work if you edit the (renamed) template. Personally, I use PsPad to edit most text files, and it has the possibility to change the encoding.
Last edited by rol on Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
rol

RolRemote v0.2 (bis)

Post by rol »

Indeed, there was a little bug in Edit Config. It worked only if the file RolRemote_user.cfg was already present in the config directory. Now, the original RolRemote_user_template.cfg is copied as RolRemote_user.cfg if the user uses the menu and the file does not exist.

I haven't incremented the version number, as it's a small bug, and I have already released v0.2 today, but I have replaced the archive files with the fixed version, and updated the version history in my previous post. You can download v0.2 again if you wish.

@Linux users: that bug does not affect Linux users, because the "Edit Config" menu is not available under Linux.
fred2

Re: RolRemote: Yet another software remote (for Win & Linux)

Post by fred2 »

Thanks again.

Now it works OK if I use the program in portable mode. When I use it in normal mode the editor (notepad for now) is started but did not find the file. This is somewhat tricky as it needs to get the file from the user/AppData/Roaming/RolRemote directory.So this must be entered for the editor.

I do not see the remote menu at the top of the remote. I have to look at the config file to find out why. perhaps I need to activate this menu.
This all is about the usual little bugs so not a big concern. I need to spend some time to find out anymore bugs and like you wrote we are still on the first day !
Perhaps other users may find bugs I did not see yet.

Have a good day !
rol

RolRemote: v0.2 (ter)

Post by rol »

Oh, yes, it's because I use the linux way to locate the user's home (the ~ path). It is not recognised by notepad, of course!
Bug fixed now. I've updated the archives again.

As an example of the user's menu configuration, you can insert this in the config file:

Code: Select all

set ::menu_remote(Send) {
	KEY_PMODE                     {Image mode...}
	KEY_AUTO_ARC_PIP_SMALL        {Image mode: Dynamic}
	KEY_EXT10                     {Image mode: Standard}
	KEY_EXT10+KEY_PMODE+KEY_PMODE {Image mode: Natural}
	KEY_EXT9                      {Image mode: Movie}
	-                             -
	KEY_PICTURE_SIZE              {Image format...}
	KEY_EXT14                     {Image format: 4:3}
	KEY_EXT15                     {Image format: 16:9}
	KEY_RESERVED1                 {Audio language}
	KEY_MTS                       {Audio stream}
	KEY_AD                        {AD/Subtitles}
	KEY_SLEEP                     {Sleep timer}
}
It should create the menu "Send" with 12 new functions, and some menu separators. You can build other menus on the same model.

Note the menu entry "Image mode: Natural". I haven't found a key that does that, so I had to use a macro.

Note also that there are many useless KEYS in the list hardcoded in the program. I've included them anyway, because they are perhaps used by other TVs. Also, the names of the KEYs are often not related at all to their function. So, to discover what a particular key does, you have to experiment!

Return to “[D] Software”