F6300 hacking (for CMR and Microdimming)

Here is information about customize your F series firmware.

phatdaddy

F6300 hacking (for CMR and Microdimming)

Post by phatdaddy »

I purchased a F6300 and F7100 TV of the same size for comparison purposes. The F7100 has flashlighting and clouding, whereas the F6300 has virtually no flashlighting or clouding. However, the F7100 has a higher CMR and a CinemaBlack menu option (from best I can tell, CinemaBlack controls the level of microdimming). From evaluating the highest CMR setting on the F7100 vs. the lower CMR on the F6300, I can say the higher CMR makes a difference for low frame rate streaming video (the frame judder reduction is like going from an old handheld VHS camcorder to DVD), and the CinemaBlack feature makes it way easier to view details in really dark movie scenes. For those who care, the F7100 does have slightly better sound (b/c of integrated subwoofers) and the thin profile makes the set look more like a picture frame, but as for me, I think I can live without those features.

Since the F6300 has better display characteristics, but the F7100 has a higher CMR & CinemaBlack, I'm interested in hacking the F6300 to get the higher CMR and to enable microdimming. Does anyone know if this is possible? It seems that both of these features are entirely determined by the firmware, though maybe there is a limiting hardware component I don't know about. I've used the service menu to set the model to F6400, F6800, and F7100; changing the model number alone does not result in the additional menu options functioning--the new menu options appear according to the model number chosen in the service menu, but changing those new menu options has no effect on the picture (I am doing a direct side-by-side comparison with the F7100 with the same settings).

I think the panel codes used in each of these models differs slightly. Can anyone tell me if the panel code would matter for these features? Also, I haven't entered the advanced service menu yet to see if there are additional differences between the two models' settings, maybe someone knows if this is a worthwhile avenue to explore?
phatdaddy

Re: F6300 hacking (for CMR and Microdimming)

Post by phatdaddy »

as Pink Floyd would sing "Hello? Is there anybody out there?"

Surely someone has some knowledge regarding this, or ideas to try
apoklyps3

Post by apoklyps3 »

not even taking different processors the TVs you mentioned you use the answer is still a big NO
gus8313

Post by gus8313 »

Hello,
I do not know F6300 but F6500, F6510, F6640, and F6670 seems to share the same hardware.
F6500 and F6510 don't have Microdimming, but F6640 and F6670 have it (and a better CMR).
I've ordered an UE40F6500, i will try to activate it to see if it works.

Return to “[F] Firmware”